The Y2K (the Year 2000) aesthetic is the latest fashion trend, and it combines the best of the late ’90s and early 2000s with a modern twist. Shiny materials, pleated colorful skirts, and velour tracksuits were all the hottest keywords. While these things fell out of grace for a while, they’re reemerging thanks to TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram. In this article, you will learn how to keep up with Y2K aesthetic trends with the YouCam Makeup app! Creating Y2K style selfies has never been easier with a wide selection of filters, Y2K makeup looks, aesthetic accessories, and vibrant hair colors!
How to Create a Y2K Aesthetic Selfie
Besides going back in time and snagging a Polaroid i-Zone camera (a must-have for any kid in the late ’90s and early 2000s), your best bet for creating the most authentic Y2K aesthetic selfie is to use the YouCam Makeup app. It’s the best makeup app, with over 3,000 makeup styles, over 50 3D accessories, and powerful built-in selfie editing features. Here are how you can easily create a Y2K aesthetic selfie with the YouCam Perfect app!
- Step 1. Add Y2K Makeup to Selfie
- Step 2. Change to Cyber Feel Background
- Step 3. Add Y2K Aesthetic Accessories
- Step 4. Try Y2K Hair Color
1. Add Y2K Makeup to Selfie
Some of the most iconic Y2K makeup styles include:
- Vibrant colors: Think pink, baby blue, lilac, etc.
- Playful texture: Glossy ombre lips
- The ’20s feel: Thin eyebrows
Not sure you’ll be able to capture that perfect 2000s glow with your current makeup palette? No worries! You can digitally add in your makeup after the fact using YouCam Makeup! It’s easy to:
- Add in kissable pink glossy lips that look shiny and juicy
- Adjust brow shape so you can thin out your brows without plucking
- Add colorful eyeshadow that makes you look like a Y2K queen or king!
2. Change to Y2K Cyber Feel Background
Cyber and tech were big in the early 2000s — they helped define the generation. That’s why it’s a great idea to add cyber-themed touches to your Y2K selfies. As the best selfie editor app, YouCam Makeup is equipped with smart selfie background changing feature, which use the most advanced AI technology to auto detect and change selfie background in the most natural way. With the free download YouCam Makeup app, you can:
- Add a Y2K background to look like you’re in a computer world — hopefully before the Y2K virus hits
- Add a KiraKira animated effect for a fun touch of sparkle in your image
3. Add Y2K Aesthetic Accessories
Y2K aesthetic is all about the accessories. Colorful sunglasses, baguette bags, chain necklaces are all the classic fashion pieces you can spot on Clueless or Mean Girls movies. With the help of YouCam Makeup app, you can try these hottest Y2K accessories on your selfies before shopping on Etsy. Some Y2K style accessories items you can consider to add in your selfie includes:
- Red cat-eye sunglasses
- Blue hair band
- Colorful bandanas
- Butterfly hair clips
4. Try Y2K Aesthetic Hair Color
Fake hair in vibrant colors was big in the early 2000s, but there are easier ways of getting that perfect multi-tone hue now. Use YouCam Makeup to adjust your hair color to any natural (or unnatural) shade you want! Red, pink, blue … nothing is off-limits.
What Is Y2K Aesthetics
So what exactly is the Y2K aesthetic? If you lived through the early 2000s, you’ll recognize it all when you see it. Some of the style icons championing this movement include Megan Thee Stallion, Bella Hadid, and Dua Lipa. There are also some classic movies inspiring the trend! Lovers of Mean Girls will definitely recognize the hip-hugging, flared jeans from the movie. And Clueless fans will be pleased to see that the pleated mini skirt game is back in action. Here’s a closer look at how the fashion Y2K aesthetic breaks down:
Y2K Fashion Accessories
- Colorful sunglasses
- Baguette bags/mini bags
- Chain necklaces
- Vibrant colors like pink and baby blue
- Butterfly hair clips
- Bandanas, especially in colorful shades
Y2K Aesthetics & Backgrounds
- Body glitter, especially on the face, arms, and chest
- Cyber looks with shiny fabrics
- Cute decor that makes a great Y2K background for your pics, like Y2K butterfly stickers, flowers, and ladybug
Download YouCam Makeup: Best Selfie Editor to Create Y2K Aesthetic Photos
Aside from beauty tools, YouCam Makeup has a beauty community for the latest aesthetic makeup trends. Join today to be inspired with your makeovers. And be sure to download the YouCam Makeup app for iOS or Android now to create your own Y2K aesthetic makeup selfies!
More Aesthetic Selfie Tips
- Summer Makeup Looks: Free Filters to Find Your Style
- TikTok E-Girl: 4 Hottest Makeup Aesthetics
- How to Take Beach Selfies
- How To Be An Instagram Baddie: Best Makeup & Styling Tips
- Why YouCam Makeup? Your Complete Guide