Choosing the right hairstyle can do wonders for your overall appearance. One key factor to consider when selecting a hairstyle is your face shape.
In this article, we will explore the five most common face shapes, how to determine your face shape, discuss the benefits of using a hairstyle app like YouCam Makeup, and suggest a suitable hairstyle for each face shape to help you look your best.
How to Determine Your Face Shape
Before you can find the right hairstyle, it's important that you know your face shape.
Take a look at your face in the mirror or take a selfie. Then analyze your face following these steps:
- Face Length and Width: Observe your face and compare the length and width of your face. Pay attention to the widest points and the length from your hairline to your chin.
- Prominent Features: Look for the prominent features of your face. Are your cheekbones the widest part? Does your face have a more rounded or angular appearance?
- Jawline: Assess your jawline. Is it rounded and smooth, or does it have sharper angles?
- Forehead: Look at your forehead shape. Is it wider than your jawline, or is it about the same width?
Based on these observations, you can likely identify your face shape!
5 Most Common Face Shapes
1. Oval Face Shape
If your face is longer than it is wide, with a slightly rounded jawline and balanced proportions, you likely have an oval face shape.
Oval faces can pull off various hairstyles with ease.
Read here: Hairstyles for Oval Face Shape.
2. Round Face Shape
If your face is nearly as wide as it is long, with soft, curved lines and the widest point at your cheeks, you probably have a round face shape.
Hairstyles that add height and lengthen the appearance of the face are ideal for round faces.
Read here: Hairstyles for Round Face Shape.
3. Square Face Shape
If your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are approximately equal in width, and you have a more angular jawline, your face shape is likely square.
Hairstyles that soften the jawline and add some curves work best for square faces.
Read here: Hairstyles for Square Face Shape.
4. Heart Face Shape
If your forehead is wider than your cheeks, and your face tapers down to a narrower chin, you likely have a heart-shaped face.
Hairstyles that balance the forehead and jawline are recommended for heart-shaped faces.
Read here: Hairstyles for Heart Face Shape.
5. Diamond Face Shape
If your cheekbones are the widest part of your face, and your forehead and jawline are narrower, your face shape is diamond.
Hairstyles that create the illusion of a broader forehead and a narrower chin are most suitable for diamond faces.
Read here: Hairstyles for Diamond Face Shape.
YouCam Makeup: The Ultimate Hairstyle App For Any Face Shape
YouCam Makeup is a popular selfie editing app that offers a comprehensive virtual makeover experience and its AI hairstyle tool is one more great reason to download it!
Powered by the top Beauty and Fashion tech company, Perfect Corp, the YouCam Makeup app lets you try on 15+ AI hairstyles, from long wavy, and straight styles to short bobs and pixie cuts.
The app's advanced technology allows you to test different hairstyles on your face with incredible accuracy.
Whether you want to try out a new haircut or experiment with various hair colors, YouCam Makeup provides a seamless and realistic virtual experience, saving you time and potential hair disasters.
Perfect Hairstyles for Each Face Shape
1. Haircuts for Oval Face
As someone with an oval face shape, you have the advantage of being able to pull off a wide range of hairstyles.
- Pixie Cuts: If you're daring to go short, a pixie cut can be a fabulous option. It highlights your elegant facial curves and complements your face shape beautifully.
- Side-Swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs are a great choice for an oval face shape as they add angles to your face and draw attention to your eyes.
- Half-up, half-down: Half-up, half-down hairstyles can be both playful and sophisticated, emphasizing your face's natural symmetry.
Hairstyles To Avoid:
Hairstyles to avoid with an oval face shape are generally few, as your balanced features allow you to experiment with different looks.
However, it's best to avoid hairstyles that add too much volume at the crown or those that cover your forehead entirely. This can disrupt the balanced proportions of your face.
2. Haircuts for Round Face
If you have a round face shape, you should make sure that your hairstyle does not make your face look even rounder.
Luckily, a few hairstyles can help make your face appear smaller.
- Long, Layered Hair: For a round face shape, long, layered hair can create the illusion of a longer face shape and draw the eyes downward, making your face appear less round.
- Side-Swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs can also balance the roundness of your face.
Hairstyles To Avoid:
- Straight Bangs: With a round face shape, you should avoid straight bangs, because they can make your face appear shorter and emphasize the width, making your face look even rounder.
- Chin-length Bob: A chin-length bob that ends right at the jawline can also accentuate the roundness of the face and make it appear wider.
3. Haircuts for Square Face
As someone with a square face shape, you have strong, angular features that can be beautifully complemented by certain hairstyles. The key is to soften the angles of your face and create some balance.
- Side-Swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs can create a diagonal line across your forehead, balancing the angular jawline and adding some softness to your face.
- Long Bob: A long bob that ends just above or below the jawline can be very flattering for square faces. It softens the jawline while maintaining a chic and trendy look.
- High Ponytail: Pulling your hair up into a top knot or a high ponytail can highlight your cheekbones and add some length to your face.
Hairstyles To Avoid:
Hairstyles to avoid with a square face shape are those that accentuate the squareness of your jawline or add too much width to the sides of your face.
- Straight-across, blunt bangs make your face look even more square.
- Short, Angular Bob: Very short, angular bobs can accentuate the squareness of your jawline, which may not be the most flattering option.
- Center Part: A center part is another no-go as it divides your face symmetrically and draws attention to the strong angles.
4. Haircuts for Heart Face
As someone with a heart-shaped face, your face is wider at the forehead and tapers down to a narrower chin.
- Side-Swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs are perfect for heart-shaped faces as they help balance the width of the forehead and draw attention away from it.
- Chin-length Bob: A chin-length bob can complement your face shape beautifully by adding volume around the jawline and balancing the wider forehead.
- Long Hairstyles: Long hair with face-framing layers can soften the angles of your face and draw attention away from the wider forehead.
Hairstyles To Avoid:
Hairstyles to avoid with a heart-shaped face are those that emphasize the width of your forehead or make your chin appear narrower.
- Pixie Cuts: Extremely short and spiky haircuts can accentuate the narrowness of your chin, which might not be the most flattering look.
- Center Parts: A center part can emphasize the width of your forehead, so it's best to go for side-swept or off-center parts.
5. Haircuts for Diamond Face
- Soft Bangs: Wispy or side-swept bangs can help shorten the appearance of your forehead and add balance to your facial structure.
- Pixie Cuts: Short haircuts with texture and volume on top can work well with diamond-shaped faces.
- Curly or Wavy Hairstyles: Soft curls or waves can add width to the jawline and minimize the sharpness of the face shape.
Hairstyles To Avoid:
- Heavy Bangs: Thick, blunt bangs can accentuate the width of your forehead, making your face look top-heavy.
- Center Parts: A middle part can elongate the appearance of your face, which may exaggerate the diamond shape.
- Super Short Crops: Extremely short haircuts can emphasize the angles of a diamond-shaped face, which might not be the most flattering.
Conclusion: How to Find the Best Hairstyle for Your Face Shape
Understanding your face shape is a crucial step in selecting the perfect hairstyle for you. Once you know your face shape, you can choose a hairstyle that complements your features.
With the help of hairstyle apps like YouCam Makeup, finding the right hairstyle has never been easier!
By identifying your face shape and experimenting with virtual hairstyles, you can confidently choose the look that suits you best.
Hairstyle Face Shape FAQs
Which hairstyle suits my face shape?
People with an oval face shape are fortunate as they can pull off a wide variety of hairstyles, from short pixie cuts to long flowing locks, as their face has balanced proportions.
Someone with a round face shape may benefit from hairstyles that add height and elongate their face, such as layered cuts or side-swept bangs.
Square faces can soften their angular features with wavy or curly hairstyles, while heart-shaped faces may look stunning with chin-length or layered haircuts that balance their wider forehead and narrower chin.
How do you know your face shape?
Determining your face shape is a relatively simple process:
- First, take a look at your face in the mirror or take a selfie.
- Then compare the length and width of your face.
- Pay attention to the widest points and the length from your hairline to your chin.
- Look for the prominent features of your face. Are your cheekbones the widest part? Does your face have a more rounded or angular appearance?
- Then assess your jawline. Is it rounded and smooth, or does it have sharper angles?
- Lastly, look at your forehead shape. Is it wider than your jawline, or is it about the same width?
Does face shape matter for a haircut?
Absolutely, face shape matters for a haircut. Your face shape is a key factor to consider when choosing a haircut because certain styles can either enhance your best features or draw attention away from areas you might want to downplay. A well-chosen haircut can balance and complement your face shape, while an ill-fitting style may emphasize less desirable aspects. If you're not sure which hairstyle suits your face shape, you can try on hairstyles virtually with a hairstyle app like YouCam Makeup!
Do I look better with long or short hair?
Whether you look better with long or short hair depends on various factors, including your face shape, hair texture, and personal style preferences. Long hair tends to elongate the face and can be flattering for many face shapes. It offers more versatility for styling, allowing you to experiment with different updos, braids, and curls. On the other hand, short hair can add volume and create a more defined look, making it a great option for individuals with round or square face shapes. Consider trying out different hairstyles virtually with apps like YouCam Makeup to see how each length suits your face before making a decision.
What face shapes should avoid bangs?
People with round face shapes should be cautious with full, heavy bangs as they can emphasize the roundness of their faces, making them appear even wider. Heart-shaped faces should also be cautious with short, blunt bangs, as they can draw attention to the wider forehead. However, both face shapes can still consider side-swept bangs, which can complement their features beautifully.