Whether you’re showing off your makeup or your new outfit, mirror selfies are a great way to express yourself and showcase your look on social media. They let you find the perfect angle to highlight your good side in every shot.
That said, taking a good mirror selfie isn’t as easy as it looks. There’s a lot that goes into looking perfect. While YouCam Perfect can help you smooth things out so you look your best, taking a good picture to start with makes things so much easier. Learn more about how to take a good mirror selfie so you can look like royalty in your next Instagram story.
3 Tips to Make the Aesthetic Mirror Selfie
The core concept of a selfie is entirely simple. All you need is a mirror, your smartphone, and yourself. Forget the fancy backdrops, ring lighting, and professional camera crew. You don’t need them to learn how to take an aesthetic mirror selfie.
Once you’ve put on your killer makeup or found the perfect outfit, there are three rules you’ll need to follow to get an aesthetic mirror selfie. You’ll need to learn how to strike the perfect mirror selfie poses, declutter your background, and use natural light to your advantage.
1. Find the Perfect Mirror Selfie Poses
The best hack we have to offer for cute mirror selfies is to work on your poses. Hunching over and growling at the camera can be cute if you’re going as a vampire for Halloween. Otherwise, put your best foot forward (maybe literally) to master the aesthetic mirror selfie.
We have three main tips for perfecting your pose:
- To capture your full look, you want to back up and get your full body in the shot. Make sure you’re standing up straight so you look your tallest. Depending on what you want to accent, you may also want to jut out your hip or lean casually to one side to create a cool, relaxed aura.
- Then, keep your phone by your cheek or side, and snap either straight-on or from an upward-tilted angle. Make sure the phone doesn’t block your face! People want to be able to see you.
- Make sure you’re looking at the camera/phone through the mirror, and not at yourself in the mirror — make eye contact with the viewer. While candid photos where you’re looking off into the distance can be great hits on social media, it doesn’t make much sense when you can see you’re holding the phone in the picture.
Whatever pose you go with, make sure you’re confident and feeling good. Trust us, it will show in the photo.
2. Keep a Clean Background For Your Aesthetic Mirror Selfie
Whether you’re taking the photo in the bathroom or in your bedroom, make sure your background is clutter-free and doesn’t distract from the subject (you). No one wants to see your dirty bathroom or pile of unwashed clothes in your mirror selfie.
Cleaning up your area is one solution to this, but what if you’re in a time crunch and can’t spend an hour tidying? If you do have visual noise in the background, it’s simple to use the YouCam Perfect object removal tool to erase items from the background. You can cut out whatever you don’t want — even other people — to make sure you’re the star of the show.
Pro tip: Change Background to Make Your Mirror Selfie More Aesthetic
3. Find Natural Light For Your Aesthetic Mirror Selfie & Skip the Flash
The problem with bathrooms and bedrooms is that they don’t always have great light for a mirror selfie. That’s why, when possible, you should try to shoot your aesthetic mirror selfie in natural light.
If you’re in a windowless space (a bathroom, perhaps), turn on the lights, but skip the flash. In addition to washing you out and making you look like a ghost, a camera flash can also create a huge reflection in the mirror and completely distort the photo. You may not even be able to see yourself.
Instead, use the Brightness tool in YouCam Perfect to brighten dark photos. To get to this setting, just click on Edit > Tools > Adjust > Brightness. Your mirror selfie will instantly look brighter and the photo will be more balanced.
Pro tip: Take a Perfect Mirror Selfie With Top Aesthetic 5 Filters
Edit Your Cute Aesthetic Mirror Selfie With YouCam Perfect
Take your cute aesthetic mirror selfie to the next level with the help of YouCam Perfect. Download YouCam Perfect to get started!