Imagine a visual feast where everyday objects come together in perfect harmony, creating a captivating and aesthetically pleasing composition. Something like this:
▲ Summer Flatlay
Welcome to the world of 'Flat Lay' photography, where simplicity meets artistry to capture stunning images from a top-down perspective. In this technique, objects are arranged and photographed from directly above, showcasing their intricate details, textures, and colors in a visually pleasing and harmonious manner.
In this blog, we’ll explore what is the flat lay technique, 5 key elements to achieve a great 'Flat Lay' photo and how you can master the art of flat lay photography with the best free app, YouCam Perfect.
What is “Flat Lay” in Photography?
"Flat Lay" in photography refers to a visually captivating technique where objects are arranged and photographed from a top-down perspective. This approach allows for a unique and engaging view of everyday items, showcasing their intricate details, textures, and colors in a visually pleasing and harmonious manner. In Flat Lay photography, careful consideration is given to the arrangement of objects, their placement, angles, and overlapping edges
What Is the Flat Lay Technique?
The term "flat lay" refers to the flat surface on which the objects are placed, such as a table or a backdrop. One of the key features of the flat lay technique is its ability to highlight the details, textures, and colors of the objects in a visually pleasing manner. By shooting from above, the photographer can showcase the unique patterns, shapes, and arrangements of the items, creating an engaging visual story. This technique is widely used in a variety of photography genres, including food, fashion, product, and lifestyle photography.
What Are 5 Key Elements to Creating a Great Flat Lay Photo?
Creating a great flat lay photo requires careful attention to detail and consideration of various elements. Here are five key elements to keep in mind when capturing a captivating flat lay composition:
- Selection of Objects: Choose objects that complement each other thematically and visually. Consider their colors, shapes, sizes, and textures. Opt for a cohesive theme or story that ties the objects together and creates visual harmony.
- Composition and Arrangement: Plan the placement and arrangement of objects thoughtfully. Experiment with different layouts, angles, and overlapping edges to create an aesthetically pleasing composition. Pay attention to the balance and visual flow within the frame.
- Background and Props: Select an appropriate background or backdrop that enhances the overall mood and theme. It should complement the objects without overpowering them. Incorporate props strategically to add interest, depth, and context to the composition.
- Lighting: Pay attention to lighting conditions to achieve the desired mood and highlight the textures and details of the objects. Soft, diffused lighting is often preferred to minimize harsh shadows and create an even illumination. Utilize natural light or artificial lighting techniques to achieve the desired effect.
- Attention to Details: Fine-tune the details within the frame. Ensure objects are clean, arranged neatly, and free from distractions. Pay attention to the positioning of smaller elements, such as arranging food ingredients or adjusting the position of accessories, to create visual harmony and balance.
How to Edit Flat Lay Photography
So you know you want to take and create a flat lay photo for Instagram — now what?! Follow our steps to easily get a perfect flat lay photo:
- Step 1: Download YouCam Perfect
- Step 2: Improve Composition
- Step 3: Lighting
- Step 4: Add a Frame
- Step 5: Flatlay Background
1. Download the Perfect Flat Lay Editing App
2. Improve Composition
A big part of a beautiful flat lay revolves around its composition. The ideal crop for a flat lay is a grid. You’ll want to use the Crop & Perspective tools to alter the orientation and align the photo properly. Usually, a flat lay is a square, which favors social media sharing like Instagram, but no matter what your crop is, utilize the rule of thirds. In photography, the rule of thirds is a type of composition in which an image is divided evenly into thirds, both horizontally and vertically, and the subject of the image is placed at the intersection of those dividing lines, or along one of the lines itself.
3. Lighten Your Flatlay
Flat lays usually have a tone that makes them beautiful to look at. Thankfully with YouCam Perfect, you can get that same look with a preset white filter. Tap Edit at the bottom of the app and select Filters in Effects. From there, select a filter like Bright, which sees your snaps through a pure and simple lens.
4. Frame Flat Lay Photo
A photo frame is a great way to silo the eye right to the subject of your flat lay. YouCam Perfect offers many to choose from, which can be found under the Edit. We suggest using a frame that is simple, letting the attention and focus go to the items as opposed to the frame itself.
5. Flat Lay Background
YouCam Perfect has more than 50 aesthetic backgrounds for your flatlay photos. Discover the best one for you! Once you have edited your photo, and everything seems almost ready to go, find 'Background' > 'Change Background' and either choose a plain one such as: white, blue, pink or a background with an aesthetic pattern.
Best Free App for Flat Lay Photography: YouCam Perfect
YouCam Perfect is the best free photo editing app for all the selfie and photo editing and beautifying tools you might need, including face shaping, teeth whitening, photo collages, filters, frames, effects, templates, stickers, and of course, Instagram flat lay editing. The app is the best photo editor app not only for flat lay style photos but for any of your photo needs because it also supports many advanced editing tools.
Download YouCam Perfect: Best Photo Editor for Flat Lay Photography
Now you know all the steps to create flat lay style photos for social media like Instagram, and how easy it is to do with the YouCam Perfect app! Download the app now for iOS or Android to get started!
You May Also Like:
- How to Resize Photo for Social Media
- How to Remove Text from Image
- How to Remove Unwanted Objects in Your Photos
- How to Change the Color of Anything
- Best Instagram Filters and Effects
Flatlay Photo Editing FAQs
What is flat lay photography?
A flat lay is a photo of objects arranged on a flat surface, photographed from directly above. Some of the more common flat lays are of wedding stationery, clothing, food and beverages, books, or beauty products.
What makes a good flat lay photo?
Follow these four tips to get a good flat lay photo:
- Finding the right angle
- Arranging your objects
- Finding a good source of light
- Use the right camera app
The aspects of a good flat play are simple — you’ll want to find the right angle, arrange your objects, find a good source of light, and use the right camera app. Once you have those essentials squared away, you’re well on your way to creating a beautiful photo!
How do I edit a flat lay picture?
Editing a flat lay is no different than editing any other photo — keep the essentials like lighting, cropping, filters, and effects in mind! Download the YouCam Perfect app for either iOS or Android today to get started on your flat lay photography.