We all try to take perfect photos right off the bat, but sometimes we just want to add that extra flash of pizzazz. Online photo editing services are great, but for most of us, a mobile photo editor app is the way to go.
Many photo editing apps are free to use, allow you to edit your photos on the go with a mobile-friendly experience, and they make it easy to save and share your photos on your favorite social media app.
Using a Photo Editor App
Depending on your level of expertise, the best free photo editing app should make it easy to edit your photos exactly the way you want. For the beginner editor, that might mean preset filters and fun animations, while for the aspiring influencer, it might mean advanced settings and the ability to store your photos in the cloud.
Regardless of your experience level, the best photo editing app will be able to cater to those with any level of editing knowledge.
The Best Photo Editing Apps for iPhone and Android in 2021
1. YouCam Perfect
No matter what level of photographer or picture editor you are, the YouCam Perfect app is the best option out there for you. This free app allows you to edit photos and make collages, among many other creative features. Photos can be edited with a wide variety of effects, animations, blending, frames, and much more.
Check out YouCam Perfect's cool editing features in 40 seconds.
Premium paid upgrades allow additional effects, animations, and retouching of selfies and your most memorable captures. This photo editing app also has a photo-sharing platform that allows users to see trending photos from others, even filtering by trending tags, categories, and app tutorials.
YouCam Perfect also offers users the opportunity to touch up every face in a photo thanks to its multi-face detection feature. Have a person or object in the background of your photos that you’d rather have removed? Look no further than the Removal tool.
Whether you’ve just embarked on the process of photo editing or you’re already a seasoned professional, YouCam Perfect is the ideal Instagram photo editing app.Pros
- Best all-in-one photo app for photo editing and selfie camera
- Lots of ready-to-use professionally made editing content (i.e. photo frames, collages, stickers, filters, and more)
- Sophisticated photo retouch features to beautify your photos in a few taps
- Intuitive multi-layer photo editing
- One-tap portrait detection and object removal
- Turn regular pics into animated photos with easy-to-use templates
- Not yet supports LUTs filter for professional photography usages
- Not yet supports split-tone editing
While VSCO became very popular for the “VSCO girl” vibe, its success came more from the ability to offer editors easy and trendy photo editing options. Many of its filters are free, but signing up for the $20 annual membership offers additional filters and borders. This app is a good choice for users who have their own unique style and know how they want to show it in their photos.Pros
- Excellent LUT filter support
- Great selection of color filters for photos and videos
- Good split-tone tool that is appreciated by professional photographers
- Include basic video editing features (available for paid users only)
- Lack of other photo editing features besides color filters
For those who are looking for a bolder and striking editing app, Picsart is a good bet. With over 100 fonts, templates, and stickers available for free, and more than 1,000 with the paid subscription, there is no shortage of ways you can customize your photos. Picsart also has the functionality to create memes, which is great for adding a funny phrase or caption to your favorite photo.Pros
- Lots of downloadable content for photo editing (i.e. but most are not professionally made)
- Great selection of tools for photo editing and portrait retouch
- Easy-to-use with pre-made templates
- Most free downloadable content is not professionally made
- Live retouch is not available in camera mode
If you want a quick and easy way to edit your pictures that doesn’t require too much trial and error, Snapseed is a great option. This free app with no in-app purchases is a product of Google, even allowing users to create “presets” that can then be saved and used for future edits.Pros
- Pro-level editing tools with color curves, RAW editing, de-noise, and more
- Great selection of color filters for photos
- Plain selection of editing elements (i.e. photo frames)
- Lack of photo collage, stickers, templates, backgrounds. Most decorative elements are absent in Snapseed
5. Adobe Lightroom Photo Editor
Professional photographers who are already integrated with the Adobe suite of software — Photoshop, Lightroom, and more — will find no learning curve with the Adobe Lightroom CC app. This free app with a paid premium version is great for the professional photo editor, though may be a bit advanced for the everyday Instagram user. If you’re already familiar with Adobe products, this might be a good product for you, but newbies will want to explore one of the previous options.Pros
- Pro-level camera (manual adjustments for ISO, exposure, shutter speed, and more)
- Pro-level photo editing features (requires good levels of photography knowledge to make good use of it)
- Beautify and retouch features are absent
- Lack of photo collage, stickers, templates, backgrounds. Most decorative elements are absent in Lightroom
YouCam Perfect: Your Go-To Photo Editing App for iPhone
If you find yourself unsure of which photo editing app to go with, our pick is YouCam Perfect. With its variety of effects, overlays, animations, frames, and more, everyone who wants to jazz up their photos can do so with the YouCam Perfect app.
Perfect for beginners, experts, and everyone in between, this app is the ideal choice for making your photos the most beautiful they can be, no matter what that means to you. Start creating amazing photos today by downloading the YouCam Perfect app for mobile photo editing.